mount a NT partition

Rob Tanner rtanner at linfield.edu
Sun Oct 22 05:49:47 GMT 2000

--On 10/21/00 02:20:06 PM +0000 Subba Rao <subb3 at attglobal.net> wrote:

> What file system is the NT FS? FAT or NTFS? I was adviced not to mount
> NTFS system on to Linux. They are ok to be mounted in readonly mode
> but not in readwrite mode.
>
> Please correct me if that is not an issue now.

Unless I've just been lucky, it's not a problem (or not a problem
anymore).  I'm the local perl guru (and have been much more successful
at evangalizing the use of perl than at getting others to learn it) and
so I write a lot of Win32 sys admin stuff that runs on the PDC.  Since
I'll be [censored] if I'll use the inept tools that come standard on
NT, I regularly mount partitions off the PDC rw on my linux box (redhat
6.2), and have been doing so for the last several months with no
negative side-effects *at least that we've noticed).

I was a bit too generous with the scissors.  In part of what I cut out
above someone mentioned you need to be root, etc, and appeared to make
to the process rather convoluted.  I simply added an entry in
/etc/fstab as follows:

//<host>/<share>    <mount-point>  smbfs   noauto,user     0 0

The shares I mount require you to have admin privleges (which I do) and
I only need enter "mount <mount-point>" as me, not root.  I get
prompted for a password and it mounts.  If you're using the Linux box
as a multiuser system allowing an unprivleged user to mount might be an
issue -- they nevertheless still have to have the right privs on the NT
-- but on a single-user system such as my personal workstation, it's a
non-issue.

-- Rob

       _ _ _ _           _    _ _ _ _ _
     /\/_/_/_/_/       /\/_/ \/_/_/_/_/_/  QUIDQUID LATINE DICTUM SIT,
    /\/_/__\/_/ __    /\/_/    /\/_/          PROFUNDUM VIDITUR
  /\/_/ \/_/  /\/_/_/\/_/    /\/_/         (Whatever is said in Latin
  \/_/  \/_/  \/_/_/_/_/     \/_/              appears profound)

  Rob Tanner
  UNIX and Networks Manager
  Linfield College, McMinnville OR
  (503) 434-2558 <rtanner at linfield.edu>