"can't create or use IPC area"

Peter Samuelson peter at cadcamlab.org
Fri Oct 20 18:26:50 GMT 2000

I'm CC'ing samba at samba.org because other people might have better
ideas.

["Loic Mahe'" <mahe at twam.com>]
>  Can't creare or use IPC area. Error was File exists.
>  ERROR : Failed to initialise share modes.
[...]
> So, I followed what you proposed : stop samba, type ipcs and use
> ipcrm to remove the shared memory segment.  But the problem is that
> ipcs doesn't list any shared memory segment after samba has stopped !
> If I restart samba, smbstatus works well as long as nobody is
> connected but the problem is the same once a file is opened.

I have never used Mandrake, so I don't know if it could be a
Mandrake-specific problem or not.

One thing you could try is to recompile Samba without SysV IPC support.
There isn't a 'configure' option for this, unfortunately.  After you
run 'configure', edit "include/config.h" and change the

  #define HAVE_SYSV_IPC 1

  #undef HAVE_SYSV_IPC

and then compile.  It should use an alternative method, "shared mmap",
which might work better for you.

Peter