FW: Semaphore error timeout

TPsmith at ixl.com TPsmith at ixl.com
Fri Oct 20 22:40:38 GMT 2000

Jerry,
Thanks for taking my cause.
I am using SAMBA with SERVER Security, and I created a local HOME directory
for all my NIS users, the NIS Service runs on a separate server, and is
working fine, I chown the NIS user to control their home directory and then
put Symbolic Links to the areas in the system that I want the user to see,
inside their home directories and don't let them go anywhere else.
This is all setup so that win9x and winNT workstation clients can map a
network drive to this area, and get to their home directory.
This did work when the server and clients were in a closer physical
relationship, but I don't know if what the client's subnets were.
I am moving the server to be in the same building, with the clients.
How does proximity, clients, IPs and subnets affect SAMBA and the needs I
have?
Here is the info you needed to better help me.
---------------------------------
Client Network Info:
 IP Address. . . . . . . . . : 209.104.187.53
 Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . : 255.255.254.0
 Default Gateway . . . . . . : 209.104.186.1
--------
Server Network Info:
hme0 Fast Ethernet IP=216.99.1.206 Subnet=255.255.255.0

//////////////////////////////////////
The Following is the contents of my iw.smb.conf
/////////////////////////////////////
[global]
#  lock directory = /var/adm/sambalock
#  preferred master = no
#  wins support = yes
#  security = user
  socket options = TCP_NODELAY
  workgroup = IXL
  netbios name = ATLTEAM
  server string = Teamsite Server
  security = SERVER
#  security = SHARES
  encrypt passwords = true
#  password server = atlntspdc.ixl.com
  password server = atlw2kixldc1.ixl.com
  username map = /usr/local/samba/lib/smbusers
  name resolve order = wins lmhosts host bcast
  lm announce = True
  local master = No
#  dns proxy = No
  wins server = 216.99.1.6
  preferred master = no
#  wins support = no
  log level = 3
  log file = /export/home/iw-home/samba/var/log.%m
  max log size = 2150
#  guest account = ftp
  preload = public
  hosts allow = ALL

#[iwserver]
#  comment = Root directory of Interwoven TeamSite file system
#  public = no
#  create mode = 0775
#  writable = yes
#  locking = no
#  share modes = no
#  preserve case = yes
#  short preserve case = yes
#  path = /repository/iwmnt
#  valid users = sbanner ntpsmith nhsmith ndmalo nmcartwright njbrown

[public]
  comment = Public Stuff
  path = /export/home/public
  read only = No