Help! bind failed on port 139 ... Address already in use

Odhiambo Washington wash at iconnect.co.ke
Thu Oct 19 09:05:27 GMT 2000

* Hung Nguyen-Manager <nhung at TMA.COM.VN> [20001019 10:12]:
=>
=>Hi all,
=>
=>I had samba installed with RedHat 6.2. When I made it running by
=>updating inetd.conf, services, smb.conf as instructed in the man of
=>smbd, smbd always failed to start up with the last message:
=>  bind failed on port 139. socket_addr=0.0.0.0 (Address already in use)

[snip]

...my /etc/inetd.conf

# Enable the following two entries to enable samba startup from inetd
# (from the Samba documentation).
#
#netbios-ssn stream tcp nowait root /usr/local/sbin/smbd smbd
#netbios-ns dgram udp wait root /usr/local/sbin/nmbd nmbd
.
.
[snip]

See, I did not enable them. Run Samba from /rc.d or whatever it is called
in Linux....

-Wash

--
Odhiambo Washington  Inter-Connect Ltd.,
wash at iconnect.co.ke  5th Flr Furaha Plaza

If you can't describe something in three words or less then it's not worth it.
-Alex Armstrong