Moving from Workgroup model to Domain

Tom R Haws (PG) trh at timberline.ca
Wed Oct 18 21:13:12 GMT 2000

Hi,

I have recently taken over administration of a Samba installation.  I have
experience administering a 5000-node NT domain (actually lots of domains, with
trusts), and I am experienced in administering Solaris, but Samba is new to me,
so I've subscribed to this mail list to try to get up to speed.  It's a great
list, and the level of support is fantastic, especially to Samba newbies like
me.

We have 5 Samba 2.0.5a servers on Solaris 2.7 (with NIS+ on the Solaris side,
but no connection between smbpasswd and the NIS maps), each serving about 50 NT
4.0 clients, with a couple of Win98 notebooks at each site.  We are currently
operating in Security = User mode, because it was the simplest to implement, but
it is a pain to administer, because people have to be manually added to each
server if they want to access resources on a that server.

We now have a nice 10MBit WAN connection between all the sites, so I would like
to move to a single Domain model, to make administration much simpler.  We would
install the latest version of Samba when we go to make the transition, and would
take that time to get all the NT clients up SP 6.0a.

I have a couple of questions to the gurus in the list regarding this transition:

1.  Is the Samba PDC model fully implemented?  How do you administer domain
users, via SWAT?

2.  If so, how do SAM database replications happen?  With NT 4.0, the PDC and
BDC's exchange user account information automagically.  Does this mechanism
exist in Samba?

3.  Would a Wintel PDC with Samba BDC's be better?  I'm used to using User
Manager for Domains to administer local and global groups on all servers.  How
would I do that with Samba BDC's?

4.  I'm sure I'm not the first person to ask these questions.  Is there a white
paper anywhere to check this out?

I appreciate any help this group has to offer on these questions.

-Thanks,
-Tom

Tom Haws
System Administrator   Inform Network for Management Systems
Tel: (250) 562-2628    1579 9th Ave, Prince George, B.C. V2L 3R8
Fax: (250) 562-6942