Samba 2.0.7 homes share problem with NT 4.0: Network name cannot be found

Mike Fedyk mfedyk at matchmail.com
Wed Oct 18 20:01:02 GMT 2000

Joey Garcia wrote:

> Greetings!  This here question is in need of a Samba guru.  I'll try to
> list out all the information that you'll might need.
>
> Okay, I have a FreeBSD 4.1 box with Samba 2.0.7 installed from the ports
> collection that is having some troubles with NT 4.0 (with service pack
> 6).
>
> Here's the situation.  I'd like to have the FreeBSD box as a simple File
> Server.  As of current I only have homes share and a tmp share.  The tmp
> share works fine when accessing from FreeBSD, but the homes share (which
> samba maps to the user name/directory) gives me some error messages.
>
> So basically, when I log into the NT box as administrator and I open the
> network neighborhood and open the FreeBSD workstation icon, I get
> presented with a list of shares on the FreeBSD/Samba server.  I can open
> the tmp share, but when I try to open the administrator share I get this
> error message: "\\FreeBSD\administrator is not accessible.

Here's the problem.  You can't have shares longer than 12 chars.  This is true
for NT server too.

administrator
1234567890123

It is 13 chars, one too many.

Rename your user and setup a user map.  I chose ntadmin instead of administrator
as the unix user.
--

Mike Fedyk                   "They that can give up essential liberty
Information Systems           to obtain a little temporary safety