string overflow by nn in safe_strcpy: request for enhancement

Eric Maryniak e.maryniak at pobox.com
Tue Oct 17 14:27:24 GMT 2000

Dear readers,

I read that I should post/discuss "bugs" for which one is unable to
provide a fix (as diff -u), so here goes... please excuse my ignorance
about Samba or proper etiquette on this list --- I'm new ;-)

===
Samba version: samba-2.0.7-13.src.rpm
Operating sys: SuSE Linux 6.3
Suggested fix: increase MAX_LEN for filenames from 127 to, say, 255?

Users using Win98 and copying to Samba exported shares
have errors like often in the log file:

[2000/05/22 16:20:27, 0] lib/util_str.c:safe_strcpy(813)
  ERROR: string overflow by 18 in safe_strcpy [http--www.shellgeostar.com-guide-guide.aspCountryI]

[2000/08/03 12:34:18, 0] lib/util_str.c:safe_strcpy(841)
  ERROR: string overflow by 3 in safe_strcpy [RESEARCHINDEX THE NECI SCIENTIFIC LITERATURE DIGIT]

(Favorite/bookmark links can be long sometimes).

After investigation it was evident that there is a string limit
of 127. I have checked out the CVS source, however, I could not
locate the exact places where this limit was set. There were
several and I didn't feel confident to patch.
So please excuse me for not including a diff -u.

However, I think that a Samba developer who is knowledgable about the
source will know exactly what is happening where.
I would suggest increasing the max. length for filenames to 255, because
this also seems to be the limit on Windows.
===

Bye-bye, Eric
--
Eric Maryniak <e.maryniak at pobox.com>