Unix Printer for Windows clients

Klaus Wirl kwirl at lucent.com
Tue Oct 17 14:22:22 GMT 2000

Odhiambo Washington wrote:

> Hi sharers,
> I have samba in two servers, each running as "domain controllers". All the
> Windows computers in our LAN are grouped into one domain -"DOMAIN A". I
> also have a second Unix box running Samba and has its own domain
> -"DOMAIN B"
> I have an HP DJ 895C on this computer on DOMAIN B and I have shared it as
> follows:
> [smb.conf snipped]
>
> Now everytime I try to install the printer on a Windows PC I get the error
> "There was an error writing to \\ServerNAME\printername for printer
> (Printer_name). The network name cannot be found. The printer will be set
> to work offline."
>
> So essentially that denies me the use of the printer....and the Windows
> lusers want to access it.Hell, I am the sysadmin and so I am in big
> problem. I don't give a damn if anyone on the Internet accessed this printer as
> DOMAN B is on 24hrs.

Odhiambo,

i would try a different approach:
- "DOMAIN B" server makes that printer accessible via lpd to "DOMAIN A"
  server. If you setup yours hosts.lpd properly nobody can use the
printer
  unauthorized.
- setup lpd print queue on "DOMAIN A" server to remote printer on
"DOMAIN B"
- "DOMAIN A" server exports this printer queue to the Windows PCs.

HTH

Regards,
Klaus
--