Unix Printer for Windows clients

Odhiambo Washington wash at iconnect.co.ke
Tue Oct 17 13:47:40 GMT 2000

Hi sharers,
I have samba in two servers, each running as "domain controllers". All the
Windows computers in our LAN are grouped into one domain -"DOMAIN A". I
also have a second Unix box running Samba and has its own domain
-"DOMAIN B"
I have an HP DJ 895C on this computer on DOMAIN B and I have shared it as
follows:

[snip smb.conf]
load printers = yes

[printers]
   comment = All Printers
   path = /var/spool/samba
   browseable = no
# Set public = yes to allow user 'guest account' to print
   guest ok = yes
   writeable = yes
   printable = yes
   public =no
   valid users = accmsa
   create mode = 0777
[lp]
   path = /var/spool/lpd/hpdj
   printer name = hpdj
   writable = yes
   public = yes
   printable = yes
   valid users = accmsa wash
;  print command = /usr/bin/lpr -P%p -r %s; rm %s
[snip]

Now everytime I try to install the printer on a Windows PC I get the error
"There was an error writing to \\ServerNAME\printername for printer
(Printer_name). The network name cannot be found. The printer will be set
to work offline."

So essentially that denies me the use of the printer....and the Windows
lusers want to access it.Hell, I am the sysadmin and so I am in big
problem. I don't give a damn if anyone on the Internet accessed this printer as
DOMAN B is on 24hrs.

Would someone point out the errors I've made in smb.conf or elsewhere? i
just need to give all PCs on this subnet access to the printer.

Thank you.

-Wash

--
Odhiambo Washington  Inter-Connect Ltd.,
wash at iconnect.co.ke  5th Flr Furaha Plaza

Be frank and explicit with your lawyer... it is his business to confuse the
issue afterwards.