HP-UX Unix to WinNT

Tony Butt tjb at cea.com.au
Mon Oct 16 22:51:27 GMT 2000

> I cant use FTP with out some security changes to the UNIX server I will
> attempt to do this soon. As for the cards they are both half duplex.  This
> only happens on the NT to Unix side, NT to NT its fast. But both
> NT systems
> are running at 100BT. The UNIX server is an HP E35 66MHZ single processor,
> its about 5 years old. Here is the smb.conf file.

We are using Samba 2.0.7 running on a HP C160L (160MHz single processor).
Even on our old 712/80 machines, this is way too slow, and suggests a
network or configuration problem.

Your configuration file looks OK, except for SO_SNDBUF. My manpage suggests
that the default for a tcp socket is 32768 - perhaps you could comment this
out, and see if things change.

I am more suspicious of a network problem. Do you have any way of checking
the error rates on the network links used? We have found that really slow
transfers in the past were usually caused by a faulty PC ethernet card. It
may be worth just changing the PC card to see if things improce.

> # Samba config file created using vi
> # from Chris Bailey TV/SSG
> # Date: 2000/09
>
> # Global parameters