connection watching tool

Rob Tanner rtanner at linfield.edu
Mon Oct 16 20:38:53 GMT 2000

I think think of a number of overly complicated mechanisms, but on the
simple side, why not run a cron job once a minute to see if the daemons
are still up.  Doing a 'ps' won't tell you if a daemon is hung, but it
will tell you if there's a process allocated.

Another option is to telnet to port 139 on the SAMBA host.  You can do
that inside an expect script.  The command should be:

                   echo "hello" | telnet localhost 139

Send only "hello" which does not have any detrimental effects.  Use
expect to look for a connected and a connection closed message.  If
there is no smb daemon listening on the port you'll get a connection
refused message instead.  You can then run the expect script out of
cron.

A third alternative would be to write a small perl script to do the
connection test.  That's actually the method I would recommend.  It too
can be run out of cron.  You could have the script send email if it
fails to connect, and if you have using a cell phone or pager service
that can process email, you can literally have the script beep you
wherever you are.

-- Rob

--On 10/16/00 08:00:08 PM +0300 demir <samba at yfas.com.tr> wrote:

> I need a connection watching tool for Linux Samba server more
> functional then status option of SWAT. I search the archive of
> mailing list but I only find a suggestion to use KDE Control Center,
> but I couldn't see any tool in it for connection.

       _ _ _ _           _    _ _ _ _ _
     /\/_/_/_/_/       /\/_/ \/_/_/_/_/_/  QUIDQUID LATINE DICTUM SIT,
    /\/_/__\/_/ __    /\/_/    /\/_/          PROFUNDUM VIDITUR
  /\/_/ \/_/  /\/_/_/\/_/    /\/_/         (Whatever is said in Latin
  \/_/  \/_/  \/_/_/_/_/     \/_/              appears profound)

  Rob Tanner
  UNIX and Networks Manager
  Linfield College, McMinnville OR
  (503) 434-2558 <rtanner at linfield.edu>