A newbie : Help for installing SAMBA

David Evans-Roberts daveer at hrwallingford.co.uk
Mon Oct 16 09:33:10 GMT 2000

Corinne

I am new to Samba as well so you may get more definitive answers from
others.  I can possibly help with the first item, a I have recently set up
samba with Solaris 2.6.  There are some issues with who the guest account
maps to.  We got it to work OK with the default of nobody, but user ftp is
suggested as alternative in some of the docs that ship with Samba.  As for
ordinary users you can map from Unix and NT users using the "username map"
option.
For example in globals I have got.
	username map = /etc/samba/usermap.txt

This contains:

bev = br
bob = rwg
bou = seb
cjh = chu
daveer = djer
elfed = tej
irana = iwp
etc

Unix name on the left, NT on the right.

You do not mention name service.  This was an issue for us as we use NIS+
rather than DNS for internal name resolution.  For this we configured with
the --with-nisplus option when building and had to put "dns proxy = no" in
globals.

I am afraid I can't help with your second question.

David Evans-Roberts
daveer at hrwallingford.co.uk
Systems Administrator
HR Wallingford