TRanslation of Linux filenames with a colon (:)

Chris Watt cnww at chebucto.ns.ca
Fri Oct 13 02:11:57 GMT 2000

At 12:27 PM 10/13/00 +1300, Mark Langham wrote:
>Please,
>

>Does anyone out there know how to have Windows Explorer display Linux
>filenames which contain a colon (:)?

AFAIK Explorer is a slightly braindead program and is not able to handle
the idea of ":\|<>*?" in a file name under any conditions. What you can do
is use name mangling on the Samba end of things, I've never tried this
particular filter, but I would expect that something like:

mangled map = (*:* **)

Would work. Play around with this option a bit (on a Read Only share) and
you should be able to get the effect you're looking for.

You can also use "veto files" to not display them at all (if all you're
concerned about is getting rid of error messages), or possibly "mangled
names" for more generic filename conversion. A good start would be to look
in the smb.conf man page for the word "mangle" :)
Hope this is what you were looking for.

On this general subject, can anyone tell me the correct syntax for adding
multiple "mangled map" replacement rules to a single share?
--

To be considered half as good as Microsoft,
           Linux has to work twice as fast.