Help: Samba printing from w2k. Works fine but no paper from printer!

Bradley C. Goldsmith bcg at mitmania.net.au
Wed Oct 11 10:00:17 GMT 2000

Hello All,

    I have samba 2.0.6 running on RH6.2 serving a small workgroup with a
few machines, a few shares and one printer. The file shares are working
perfectly. All of the other machines on the network are win2000 boxes.

    The problem I have is that the printing is not working. A file can
be printed from lpr on the linux box fine. When I print a doco from a
windows box it says that the printing has completed successfully, the
printed file also appears in the /var/spool/lpd/lp directory (which then
prints out perfectly if I run an lpr command on it). But the printer
does not get sent the file to be printed.

    So all is fine, but still I have no paper comming out of the
printer!

    Any help would be appreciated, my smb.conf file appears below.

Cheers,
Brad Goldsmith.

[global]

 workgroup = blacksheep
 server string = Blacksheep software's file and printer server

 security = user

 log file = /var/log/samba-log.%m
 lock directory = /var/lock/samba
 share modes = yes

 # cat /etc/passwd | mksmbpasswd.sh > /etc/smbpasswd
 # ln -s /etc/rc.d/init.d/smb /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/S91smb

 encrypt passwords = yes
 smb passwd file = /etc/smbpasswd

 print command = /usr/bin/lpr -s -P%p -r %s
 printcap name = /etc/printcap
 load printers = yes

[printers]

 path = /var/spool/lpd/lp
 writeable = no
 public = yes
 printable = yes
 browseable = no
 create mode = 0700

[PrintPartner10V]

 path = /var/spool/lpd/lp
 printable = yes
 read only = yes
 guest ok = yes

[public]
    path = /home/public
    public = yes
    writable = yes
    printable = no

[admin]
 path = /blacksheep/admin
 public = yes
 writable = yes
 printable = no

[cdserver]
 path = /blacksheep/cdserver
 public = yes
 writable = yes
 printable = no

[cdimages]
 path = /blacksheep/cdimages
 public = yes
 writable = yes
 printable = no

[source]
 path = /blacksheep/source
 public = yes
 writable = yes
 printable = no

[etc]
 path = /etc
 public = no
 writable = yes
 printable = no
 users = brad
 browseable = yes

Bradley C. Goldsmith                            Telephone: 02 48 724260
Black Sheep Software Pty Ltd                       Mobile: 0414  514077
Suite 1 Level 1 71 Main Street,                     bcg at mitmania.net.au
MITTAGONG, NSW, 2575               http://www.blacksheepsoftware.com.au
PO Box 342 MITTAGONG NSW 2575 Australia               Fax: 02 48 724360
"We apologise for any inconvenience caused due to a fault in our human"