UFS Directory speed (was: Samba Speed Question)

Dave Dezinski ddez at cbf.com
Wed Oct 11 01:22:13 GMT 2000

Dave Collier-Brown wrote:
>> Dave Dezinski wrote:
> > What still doesn't make sense to me is that I saw no noticable
> > improvement in speed using the ReiserFS with Samba vs ext2,
> > but did notice a difference in speed when cp'ing the files in the
> > ReiserFS vs ext2 filesystem.
>
> Hmmn: let's expand on that.
> I'd expect speed improvements when copying and creating
> files, and them to show up when the client is copying a
> large number of (small) files.
>
> I wouldn't expect to see much speed difference in
> everyday use **unless** the load on the disk is high,
> at which time the metadata-writing cost of ufs started
> eating the available bandwidth and dragging the system
> towards a halt (;-))

This is starting to make a lot more sense to me, I was kinda fuzzy
on how all of this stuff fits together.  I'm going to put together a test
Linux machine and see if I can try to nail down where the bottleneck
is.  It's possible that my memory is incorrect on some of this, it's been
a few months since I did a lot of this testing.

> > I guess without having a filesystem that does some sort of directory
> > entry caching, there is no other way around this.
>
> I admit to being puzzled by the slowness of this: all
> the Unixes cache directory blocks and inodes for the
> directories they read, so a re-read should actually be
> pretty fast! Yet it's unimpressive.

If this stuff is supposed to be cached,  we must be getting a ton of
dcache misses which is resulting in a linear scan of the directory.
I wonder if this is do to the file naming or the actual number of dcache
entries available, also Linux uses some sort of dentry hashing
maybe this is not optimum for the way we're using it.

> > I really wish there
> > was a better way to handle this, I understand that having 10000 or
> > more files in a directory is not that efficient, but it since it wasn't
> > problem in NT or in the previous Netware servers we had I couldn't
> > see why it would be a problem here.
>
> The common case with NT and Netware is that to
> search a directory takes only one to two reads
> of the b-tree indices, and one read of the final
> location to see if the file's there.  This means
> that creation doesn't require a linear search of
> the whole directory, just to ensure the file
> isn't already there.  This is such a common
> operation that those filesystems gain speed
> **disproprately** from it.
>
> It isn't prefect, as I said:
> > > NT will run out of speed on very deep b-tree
> > > structures, which fortunately are rare, although
> > > programs generating filenames sometimes stumble into
> > > the "bad" part of the namespace. So would hashing
> > > filesystems, if anyone built them.
>
> Alas, I'm not a good enough hacker to build a
> Solaris kernel with hashed directories, so
> I can't give anything but guesses about how
> much improvement we would actually see. I'm
> a performance guy, as it happens, and I lack
> the data to estimate credibly.  In-credibly I'd
> estimate another 30% or so (;-))

I not much of a hacker either, more of a hardware guy myself but
this has been really bugging me.  After doing some digging around
I stumbled across this:

http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~ezk/research/usenetfs/index.html

This sounds like something that may hide a lot of the nasties of creating
multiple directories, and may allow us to use our existing software with
Samba.

> > Thanks for the reply, looks like I'll have to look into changing some
> > of our applications to handle the spliting up of these files into
multiple
> > directories if Samba is the way I'm going. :-)
>
> Ok, send me a description of the naming system
> in email and I'll see if I can suggest some rules
> for the list(s) and some code templates to make
> it reasonably easy...

Will do, thanks again for all your help.

Dave