SAMBA and NFS

Paul Boal pboal at apo49.org
Tue Oct 10 22:15:50 GMT 2000

I've got an odd configuration that seems to be encountering a serious
problem.  Here's a basic diagram of the system:

NETWORK:
    +----------------+              +----------------+
    |    BOX1        |              |    BOX2        |
    |  -2.2.13       |              |  -2.2.16       |
    |  -Mandrake6.1  |              |  -RedHat 7.0   |
    |                |              |                |
    |                |-------+------|                |
    |  -SMB server   |       |      |  -NFS server   |
    |  -NFS client   |       |      |                |
    +----------------+       |      +----------------+

    +----------------+       |
    |    BOX3        |       |
    |  -WinNT 4.0    |       |
    |  -SP5          |       |
    |                |       |
    |                +-------+
    |                |
    |  -SMB client   |
    +----------------+

PROBLEM:
BOX2 has a directory that is exported through the NFS server.  BOX1
mounts that directory and then shares it using SMB.  BOX3 maps to that
SMB share and then tries to rename one of the directories.  BOX2 and
BOX1 simultaneously lock up!

BOX3 can map the drive fine.  Open, Save, Create, and Rename
documents.  But any work with renaming or creating a new directory
fails.

BOX1 (in a terminal) can Open, Save, Create, and Rename files and
direcotries just fine on the mounted NFS directory without any
problems.

Neither BOX1 or BOX2 report any errors.  The just hang when BOX3 tries
to create or rename a directory on the share that is the NFS mounted
directory.

SPECIFICS:
===============================
==== /etc/exports from BOX2 ===
===============================
/   BOX1(rw)

===============================
==== Permissions on BOX2   ====
==== for /usr/local/apache ====
===============================
drwxr-xr-x  root  root

===============================
==== /etc/fstab from BOX1 =====
===============================
BOX2:/usr/local/apache  /mnt/BOX2  nfs  rsize=8192,wsize=8192,soft 0 0

===============================
==== Permissions on BOX1 ======
==== for /mnt/BOX2       ======
===============================
drwxr-xr-x  root  root

===============================
==== /etc/smb.conf from BOX1 ==
===============================
[global]
	workgroup = WORKGROUP
	netbios name = BOX1
	server string = BOX1 File Server
	encrypt passwords = Yes
	update encrypted = Yes
	log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
	max log size = 50
	read raw = No
	write raw = No
	name resolve order = lmhosts host bcast
	time server = Yes
	wins support = Yes
	hosts allow = 10.1.1.
	create mask = 0644

[BOX2]
	comment = Root Directory on BOX2
	path = /mnt/BOX2
	writeable = Yes

===============================
==== User conecting from BOX3 =
===============================
The user connecting from BOX3 is pboal.
The permissions on the /usr/local/apache/htdocs where
all of the writing is occurring are:
drwxr-xr-x  pboal  pboal

Thanks for the help!
--Paul