Multiple smbd daemons and Windows Explorer problems

David Evans-Roberts daveer at hrwallingford.co.uk
Tue Oct 10 15:24:52 GMT 2000

I am new to samba and am evaluating it for our use.  I compiled version
2.0.7 for Solaris with the options with-smbwrapper and with-nisplus.
Install went OK and by and large it seems to work satisfactorily.  However I
have two problems of which the first is the more serious:

	1) Whenever I do a copy of a file a child process of the smbd daemon
is
	   created and does not die.  I start the daemon from a script in
	   /etc/rc2.d and have only modified inetd.conf for the swat entry.
	   In main usage I would soon get hundreds of smbd daemons.

	2) From my NT box in Windows Explorer when I double click on my test

         folder the contents are displayed, but the folder symbol remains
shut.
	   If I copy a file to the folder then I have to manually refresh to
see
	   it.

My smb.conf file reads as follows:

# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from localhost (127.0.0.1)
# Date: 2000/10/05 18:54:43

# Global parameters
[global]
        workgroup = HR
        domain logons = yes
        dns proxy = no
        encrypt passwords = yes
        log file = /var/log/samba
        log level = 2
        password server = DRIZZLE HAIL SNOW
        security = domain
        socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY
        load printers = no
        username map = /etc/samba/usermap.txt
[test]
        comment = For testing only
        path = /test
        writeable = Yes
        guest ok = Yes
        guest account = nobody

On a more general issue.  Is there any way of searching the archives?
Manually slogging through month by month is exceedingly slow with our
connection.

Thanks in advance for any help.

David Evans-Roberts
daveer at hrwallingford.co.uk
Systems Administrator
HR Wallingford
Howbery Park
Wallingford
Oxon
OX10 8BA
United Kingdom

Tel: +44 (0)1491 822409
Fax: +44 (0)1491 832233

"Faxes and emails are used by HR Wallingford as a convenience for confidential,
and often legally privileged, business communications both within the firm and
and with clients.  Disclosure to parties other than addressees through for example
forwarding, copying, printing, distribution etc requires HR Wallingford's
specific consent.  HR Wallingford is not liable for unauthorised disclosures
nor for subsequent actions or omissions in reliance upon them.  If you have
received this message in error please notify us immediately and destroy  all
copies of it."