Undelete for Samba

Mike Fedyk mfedyk at matchmail.com
Mon Oct 9 23:44:31 GMT 2000

Ries van Twisk wrote:

> > Samba doesn't actually do the deletion, it just uses the system
> > unlink() call. Unix, unlike Netware, takes the attitude that if you
> > ask it to delete a file, that's because you don't want the file. It
> > ain't coming back...... The filesystems on most Unices are such that
> > your chances of recovering data from deleted files are virtually nil.
> > Use a tape backup....
> >
> Also I understand from the samba development team that in theory it
> is posible to do such a function but it will create a lot of overhead
> meantaining the 'recycle bin' It just takes a lot of processor time and
> HD space.
>
> Also think of this..
> When M$ word opens a file, it copys a file to the same dir with a
> different name (~$ thing) when you are finnished working on that file
> a renaming and a deleting sequency takes place. Which in turn
> create a backup and that's not what you want.
> Also I don't think de recicle bin on NT is working 'networked'. (I only
> use samba at my net)
>
> Ries

You are correct.  You'd need norton or some such to keep network deleted files.
Norton forgets to delete the old deleted files, and your drive fills up..... but
I digress
--

Mike Fedyk                   "They that can give up essential liberty
Information Systems           to obtain a little temporary safety