Undelete for Samba

Mike Fedyk mfedyk at matchmail.com
Mon Oct 9 23:29:56 GMT 2000

Mike Brodbelt wrote:

> Cass Surek wrote:
> >
> > Hello guys,
> >
> > We´ve used Novell here and there was a cool thing about it that wouldn´t
> > really delete a file when a user deleted that file. It´d be stored in a
> > spool directory and then we´d be able to recover it in case it was deleted
> > by mistake by the user.
>
> Samba doesn't actually do the deletion, it just uses the system unlink()
> call. Unix, unlike Netware, takes the attitude that if you ask it to
> delete a file, that's because you don't want the file. It ain't coming
> back...... The filesystems on most Unices are such that your chances of
> recovering data from deleted files are virtually nil. Use a tape
> backup....
>
> HTH
>
> Mike.

That being said, the best place to implement this feature is in the underlying
OS.  That way it'll work with netatalk, nfs, coda, etc.

Although, what would it take to make a network trash folder (ala netatalk or
netware) with samba storing the original path to the file?

I've been reading samba traffic, and it seems we are a bunch of synchronized
dogs chasing their tails.  To put it one way. ;p
--

Mike Fedyk                   "They that can give up essential liberty
Information Systems           to obtain a little temporary safety