Memory usage in Samba 2.0.7

Scott Lawson s.lawson at sghms.ac.uk
Mon Oct 9 17:03:29 GMT 2000

Here is a copy of what I sent to Lucy off list. If you want to use hostnames use
a %h instead of a %g

Lucy,

Seperating the smb.conf file is easy. All you need is one line. Create a master
smb.conf file that contains the global section and maybe the homes section. In
the
global section put in a line that reads like this :

include = /usr/local/samba/lib/includes/%u.smb.conf

This is for user specific smb.conf

or

include = /usr/local/samba/lib/includes/%g.smb.conf

This is for primary group specific smb.conf

Obviously the path to these files can be anything, but I would suggest you keep
them in a sub-directory called includes. (keeps things nice n neat!)

In these files place all your shares, simple eh?
This will very likely reduce your memory footprint a bit and increase speed
considerably.

Good Luck!

Scott.

Scott Lawson
Systems Manager
Department Of Information Services
St. George's Hospital Medical School
Tooting
London SW17 0RE
UK

P: 44 (0)208 725 2896
F: 44 (0)208 725 3583

mailto:s.lawson at sghms.ac.uk

http://www.sghms.ac.uk

Quote of the week :

"The difference between 'involvement' and 'commitment' is like a
bacon-and-eggs breakfast: the chicken was 'involved' - the pig was
'committed'."