Samba Dropping Mounts - "Broken Pipe" msgs

auto852 at hushmail.com auto852 at hushmail.com
Sun Oct 8 22:09:02 GMT 2000

At Mon, 25 Sep 2000 20:02:56 +0200 (CEST), Urban Widmark <urban at svenskatest.se>
wrote:

>On Sun, 24 Sep 2000 auto852 at hushmail.com wrote:
>
>> Yikes, I've never compiled a kernel before and in this case (from
>what I
>> could see) it requires compiling pre-patch-2.2.17-20 (required for)
>then
>> pre-patch-2.2.18-10 (was the latest I could see) by someone named
>alan.
>
>The "someone named alan" is Alan Cox and he is the maintainer for the
>2.2
>kernel series and gets to decide what goes in and not.
>
>You don't have to compile 2.2.17pre20 (which is the same as 2.2.17),
> you

Thanks again Urb, :) ok well in alan's 2.2.18 kernel ftp dir there was/is
a readme that says the patch is for 2.2.17.20 but anyways...we applied the
patches 2.2.17-pre20 and then 2.2.18pre10 and recompiled the kernel but....

1) the patches were looking for directories that didn't exist on Redhat
6.2 kernel 2.2.16-3 so we skipped passed them and recompiled the kernel
the kernel anway. It looked like it patched quite a bit but after recompiling
the kernel version hadn't changed.

2) I am still getting smb_retry errors in the logs and I am still losing
mounts.

3) I also have a problem with the permissions changing after remounting.
Half of the mounts permissions change for no reason while the other half
of the mounts are what they are supposed to be. (and all the shares on the
NT side have the same identical permissions).

So....what now? It seems that it may be quite possible that alan's kernel
patches are not quite compatible with Redhat 6.2 kernel 2.2.16-3 or 2.2.14
for that matter and I can't find any Redhat kernels any newer than 2.2.16-
3. Redhat 7 was just released tho and it is using kernel 2.4 and you had
also mentioned kernel 2.4.0-test8 as a fix but what would be the point in
wasting all that time re-installing if the 2.4.0-test8 patch is not compatible
either?

And is there anyone listening that is running Samba-2.0.7-4 with Redhat
6.2 (kernel 2.2.14 or 2.2.16-3) to map NT4 (SP-6a) shares -- successfully?
Or maybe someone out there that is running Samba-2.0.7-4
with Redhat 7 to map NT4 shares -- successfully?