smbmount permission issue

Urban Widmark urban at svenskatest.se
Sat Oct 7 09:33:59 GMT 2000

On Fri, 6 Oct 2000, Derek R. Pizzagoni wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am running RedHat 6.2 on a Sun Ultra10 with Samba version 2.0.7.
>
> I am able to manually mount, and automount, but no matter where and how
> I mount, I always get the following permissions on the mount point
> (after mount):
>
> d---------    1 root     root          512 Oct  5 15:43 sbe12

What kernel version, default RH6.2?

> Root can access the files on the remote server, but I can't (as my
> normal username).

That suggests that smbfs has a problem getting input from the mount
program. smbmount builds a binary struct and passes this to the kernel.
The inode from the mountpoint is built using information from that struct
only.

I'm guessing that it is some 32bit vs 64bit thing. Could it be that the
samba package is compiled vs some set of headers, creating a struct that
the kernel code can't read ...

Could you try rebuilding samba from source?
And before doing that, check that /usr/include/asm/posix_types.h contain
the sparc64 definition:
	typedef unsigned int           __kernel_mode_t;
and not the sparc definition:
	typedef unsigned short         __kernel_mode_t;

If that fails to improve, it would be interesting to see if there is a
difference in how the struct looks. Printing the size of the struct and
the offset from the start of the struct of each field in
source/client/smbmnt.c (samba) and fs/smbfs/inode.c (kernel). Let me know
if you want a patch for doing that.

/Urban