Samba Speed Question

David Collier-Brown David.Collier-Brown at canada.sun.com
Fri Oct 6 16:06:44 GMT 2000

Dave Dezinski wrote:
| We've got a few NT40 servers that have more than 20000 files
| in a single directory, that don't perform this badly.  We'd
| like to replace these servers with Linux boxes using Samba,
| but unless we re-organize these files into multiple directories
| (which means a bunch of custom software needs to be rewritten),
| this isn't possible.
|
| This definately is a problem that should be a looked into, this
| is not the first time I've seen someone complain about this.

	Yes, it's an artifact of the Unix algorihms:
	linear search and the reliable writes of the
	directory metadata.  The latter is adressed
	in the  SGI logging filesystem, the Solaris
	logging option, ReiserFS and in ext2fs.

| Spliting the files up into multiple directories, is just a
| temporary workaround, not a solution.

	Well, it's sort of a permanent workaround (;-))
	It adresses the linear-search problem nicely,
	which only a true logging fs (or caching) helps with.

	NT will run out of speed on very deep b-tree
	structures, which fortunately are rare, although
	programs generating filenames sometimes stumble into
	the "bad" part of the namespace. So would hashing
	filesystems, if anyone built them.

--dave
Work: (905) 415-2849 Home: (416) 223-8968 Email: davecb at canada.sun.com