Undelete for Samba

Mike Brodbelt m.brodbelt at acu.ac.uk
Fri Oct 6 11:19:41 GMT 2000

Cass Surek wrote:

> Hello guys,
>
> We´ve used Novell here and there was a cool thing about it that wouldn´t
> really delete a file when a user deleted that file. It´d be stored in a
> spool directory and then we´d be able to recover it in case it was deleted
> by mistake by the user.

Samba doesn't actually do the deletion, it just uses the system unlink()
call. Unix, unlike Netware, takes the attitude that if you ask it to
delete a file, that's because you don't want the file. It ain't coming
back...... The filesystems on most Unices are such that your chances of
recovering data from deleted files are virtually nil. Use a tape
backup....

HTH

Mike.