Windows 9x and NT

Jay Thompson J.Thompson at NAU.EDU
Thu Oct 5 16:13:50 GMT 2000

At 07:26 PM 10/4/2000 -0300, Chris Watt wrote:

>Almost invariably this is the result of having encryption turned on,
>failing to create a valid smbpassword file, and not reading the docs so you
>are totally unaware of this. Read The (ahem) Fine Manual at
>http://us1.samba.org/samba/ftp/docs/textdocs/ENCRYPTION.txt and if you
>still have any questions then come back to the list.
>It is (imho) almost certain that all you need to do is run the command
>"mksmbpasswd.sh; smbpasswd your_user_name". If turns out to be more
>complex, then I apologize for thinking that you're wasting my time by
>posting questions on something that's explained quite well in the Samba
>docs included with the software.

Actually, I don't believe Frederick's problem is dealt with in the
ENCRYPTION.txt
document. My impression from what Frederick is asking is that he is not using
samba for password authentication. Rather, that he simply wants to access a
samba share from a Windows box.

If this is correct, then his problem is more likely that his Windows
registry has
EnablePlainTextPassword turned off.

He needs to create a new DWord, EnablePlaintextPassword

Use regedit.

For Win 2000, the DWord has already been created by default (but is set to
0). It is in:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE | SYSTEM | CurrentControlSet | Services |
lanmanworkstation | parameters

The value must be changed to 1.

For Win NT, The DWord must be created (and set to 1). It needs to be
created in:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE | SYSTEM | CurrentControlSet | Services | Rdr | Parameters

For Win 98, The DWord must be created (and set to 1). It needs to be
created in:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE | System | CurrentControlSet | Services | VxD\VNETSUP

For Win 95, the DWord setting is not necessary. Win 95 only sends plaintext
passwords.

Jay