veto files and Office 2000

Matthew Foust mfoust at martinwilliams.com
Thu Oct 5 15:29:06 GMT 2000

I was wondering if anyone has had an experience similar to this:

We are running Samba 2.0.7 on Solaris 2.6.

veto files = /.*/

conflicts with MS Office 2000.  One can access files on shares with no problem.  However, if you try and place an image into a PowerPoint presentation, for example, via the Insert -> Picture -> From File menu option, you get a permission error.  I first thought it might be a Windows 2000 issue, but later figured out it is tied ONLY to Excel/Word/PowerPoint 2000.  All other apps on Win2k are fine.  Disabling 'veto files = /.*/' fixed the problem.

Matthew Foust
Technology Manager
Martin/Williams Advertising
60 South Sixth Street, 28th Floor