Home dirs.

Neil Hoggarth neil.hoggarth at physiol.ox.ac.uk
Thu Oct 5 10:32:27 GMT 2000

On Wed, 4 Oct 2000, Hilbert Mostert wrote:

> I discovered that user1 can view other homedirs if the other user, say
> user2, is logged in, by simply typing in the network neighbourhood
> \\server\user2.
> is  this a bug, or are there work arounds, or is it my fault? my os is
> RedHat 6.2 and Samba 2.0.7

That is expected. If user1 and user2 where Unix shell users then they
would be able to see each other's files too.

If this isn't desired behaviour then change the Unix permissions on the
User's home directories so that only the owner has read/search
permission (for more information see Unix man pages on chmod and umask,
and the smb.conf "create mask" parameter).

Regards,
--
Neil Hoggarth                                 Departmental Computer Officer
<neil.hoggarth at physiol.ox.ac.uk>                   Laboratory of Physiology