Information about smb.log

John N S Gill jng at renre-europe.com
Wed Oct 4 15:40:35 GMT 2000

I'm afraid the only reliable way is to get a copy of the source code.
The good news is samba is open source :)

Many of the messages in the log files are a bit cryptic, you can
usually get a good idea of what it is doing, but finding out exactly
what the problem may well involve looking at the source.

You can also use debug in the config file (see man page for smb.conf)
to control the amount written to logs, making it more verbose might
help.

The other good bit of news is these messages at least include the
source file name and line number that is responsible for the message.