IPC error during Windows ME relogin

Mike Brodbelt m.brodbelt at acu.ac.uk
Wed Oct 4 10:03:00 GMT 2000

Christopher Smith wrote:

> --On Monday, October 02, 2000 6:22 PM +0100 Mike Brodbelt
> <m.brodbelt at acu.ac.uk> wrote:
> > It's a guess, but I'd be inclined to blame Mandrake's kernel. Mandrake
> > is known for using kernels which are patched with all sorts of stuff,
> > and are far from standard. I suggest you try compiling a kernel from the
> > official source tree, and see if the problem persists when running under
> > that.
>
> Thanks for the suggestion, and I will try it, but doesn't it seem unlikely
> that something in Mandrake's kernel is causing JUST Samba to have problems
> with JUST Windows ME (works fine with smbfs and Win9x)?

Smbfs is not part of the Samba code directly, though it does share a
lot, obviously. Your problem appeared to be with SYSV shared memory
segments being used for IPC. The security patches applied to the kernel
could very easily break this sort of thing. I think there might well be
enough difference in the login procedure used by 95 and ME to cause
this. Of course I could be wrong, but it's still my favoured guess at
the moment....

Mike.