Samba on a Trusted HP-UX System

Sean Kelly smkelly at creighton.edu
Tue Oct 3 19:16:42 GMT 2000

I am looking to install Samba on a HP-UX B.10.20 system where all the passwords
are stored in /tcb/files/auth/*/*.  I am looking into how I am supposed to
generated the Samba password file so I can use encrypted Samba passwords,
but I've run into a problem.  It appears that HP has decided that trusted
systems should be allowed to have passwords longer than 8 characters, so
if you have a password longer than 8 characters, the standard 13 character
"hash" becomes about 24 characters.  Apparently it just slaps on another
crypt() for the second chunk of password without a salt.  How am I supposed
to get Samba to be able to deal with this and how am I supposed to get Samba
to use these passwords?  There is no Samba tool for generating a smbpasswd
file from these files, though I did make one.  I got stuck when I ran into
this strange >8 character password behavior.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

--
Sean M. Kelly
Asst. Unix Systems and Network Admin.