samba digest, Vol 1 #81 - 21 msgs

Scott Lawson s.lawson at sghms.ac.uk
Mon Oct 2 14:15:48 GMT 2000

Edward,

Are you starting samba from inet? It is not reccommended that youd do this, you should
run samba as standalone daemons from an RC script. Also if you have anything else installed
that is listening on those ports then that could be a problem. (ie. PC Netlink from Sun). However
I suspect the first thing is your problem. Check your inetd.conf file for an entry with netbios-ns/udp
and remark it out. Also you can remove it from your services file too. You will however want to
have an entry for SWAT if you wish to use that.

However this samba 'problem' should not be affecting Netscape etc... It may be just coincidental.

Scott.

> Message: 16
> From: edward.thom at americas.bnpparibas.com
> To: samba at lists.samba.org
> Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2000 07:36:04 -0400
> Subject: Samba 2.0.7 and Solaris 2.7
>
> Ever since I installed Samba 2.0.7 under Solaris 2.7, I have been receiving the
> following console message:
>
>      inetd[149]: netbios-ns/udp server failing (looping), service terminated
>
> Does anyone know how to correct this?  Its also causing other problems on my
> workstation, that is, netscape terminates with no error messages,
> inability to restart netscape not unless I reboot my workstation.  I have not
> done anything fancy with the samba configuration, just share out my
> directories on the UNIX workstation....
>
> Ed

Scott Lawson
Systems Manager
Department Of Information Services
St. George's Hospital Medical School
Tooting
London SW17 0RE
UK

P: 44 (0)208 725 2896
F: 44 (0)208 725 3583

mailto:s.lawson at sghms.ac.uk

http://www.sghms.ac.uk

Quote of the week :

"The difference between 'involvement' and 'commitment' is like a
bacon-and-eggs breakfast: the chicken was 'involved' - the pig was
'committed'."