Samba 2.0.7 and Solaris 2.7

Mike Brodbelt m.brodbelt at acu.ac.uk
Mon Oct 2 12:26:21 GMT 2000

edward.thom at americas.bnpparibas.com wrote:

> Ever since I installed Samba 2.0.7 under Solaris 2.7, I have been receiving the
> following console message:
>
>      inetd[149]: netbios-ns/udp server failing (looping), service terminated

This means that your inetd.conf specifies a service on the
netbios-ns/udp port (port 137), which is started when your machine
receives a packet on that port. The service is being restarted so
frequently that inetd believes it to be failing, and so termintes it.

You can increase the frequency with which an inetd started service can
run, but in this case you should probably be removing the associated
line from inetd.conf. If you're running Samba, then the nmbd daemon
process should handle request on port 137, and this should not be
running from inetd. I'm surprised that you were able to start Samba, as
I'd have expected nmbd to be unable to bind to the port if inetd was
already listening on it.

HTH

Mike.