Bug in smbclient

Ronald F. Guilmette rfg at monkeys.com
Sun Oct 1 11:00:42 GMT 2000

In message <Pine.LNX.4.21.0010011244250.9251-100000 at cola.svenskatest.se>, you w
rote:

>smb: \> cd "Program Files"
>should work.

Thanks.  Somebody should document that!
(1/2 :-)

>It's not very nice to connect to someones shares without them giving
>permission. The fact that the shares are left wide open doesn't mean that
>they want to invite the world. I sometimes forget to lock the front door
>when I go out, that does not give you permission to go "snooping
>around" in my directories.

Well, the guy is helping to spread a virus/worm also, and him machine
even tried to spread it to mine, and perhaps hundreds of others.

There's a point at which public safety concerns come into play, especially
if you are waking around in a contageous state, and giving all your nasty
infections to others.

>Do you really need to find out who it is? Can't you check who owns that
>IP# (range, domain) and ask them to notify the user?

I've already done that too.  But it seems that security@ for my ISP is
besically non-functional on the weekends... just as it seems to be for
most ISPs. :-(