Bug in smbclient

Urban Widmark urban at svenskatest.se
Sun Oct 1 10:51:47 GMT 2000

On Sat, 30 Sep 2000, Ronald F. Guilmette wrote:

> I'd like to alert some of these folks that have been infected wih
> the Qaz virus that they are infected.  I thought that this could
> be a simple matter, *if* they were opening sharing their C: drives.
>
> I found at least a couple of infected hosts that are indeed sharing
> C:, so I used smbclient to attach to one of them.
>
> Now I need to get this guy's e-mail address, so that I can mail him
> a message, telling him he's infected with Qaz.
>
> I think that I fugured out where his e-mail address might be stashed
> on his disk drive.  It looks like he's got Netscape installed, and so
> I surmize that his e-mail address is probably stashed in some preferences
> file, somewhere in the vicinity of:
>
>      C:\Program Files\Netscape\Communicator\
>
> I'd like to go snooping around in that directory, and see if I could
> find it, but there's a problem... smbclient doesn't seem to grasp the
> fact that nowadays, filenames on Windows can contain spaces.  Thus, I
> can't even `cd' into the `Program Files' directory!  Humph.
>
> Have any of you got a fix for this?

smb: \> cd "Program Files"
should work.

It's not very nice to connect to someones shares without them giving
permission. The fact that the shares are left wide open doesn't mean that
they want to invite the world. I sometimes forget to lock the front door
when I go out, that does not give you permission to go "snooping
around" in my directories.

Do you really need to find out who it is? Can't you check who owns that
IP# (range, domain) and ask them to notify the user?

/Urban