swat and samba

Robert Dahlem Robert.Dahlem at gmx.net
Thu Nov 30 07:48:32 GMT 2000

Sharon,

On Tue, 28 Nov 2000 11:33:19 -0800, Sharon Durant wrote:

>I'm running Samba on a Solaris 2.6 box and have the swat entry in
>inetd.conf
>swat    stream  tcp     nowait.400      root
>/usr/local/samba/bin/swat swat
>
>This seems to start up the smbd and nmbd daemons OK

No, it does not as long as you do not start them manually from swat.
If they are already running without you having done something manually
with swat, they probably were started from an rc2.d script.

>but they are all running with the -D switch. Is that expected?

Yes. -D is always needed when smbd/nmbd are running as daemons (in
other words: not by inetd).

Daemon mode is preferred over the inetd method: Samba connections tend
to be (re)started relatively fast and some inetd's tend to interpret
this behaviour as "looping", so they go and shut down the port.

>Also, there are 15 smbd processes running...

That's ok as long as you have 14 clients connected (run smbstatus to
check).

>Since my system usage is up to .34 (including some httpd and imapd
>processes) I'm questioning how many smbd processes should appear.

One plus the number of client connections.

>Can SWAT be run separately from the daemons so that I could start the
>daemons in the rc2.d scripts?

Yes. Indeed that's the preferred method. You should also be aware of
the fact that swat is known as a big security hole. I personally
prefer 'vi smb.conf'. :-)

Regards,
        Robert

Robert.Dahlem at gmx.net           Fax +49-69-432647

Sent using PMMail (http://www.pmmail2000.com) - fast, decent, email
software; far better than Outlook. Try it sometime.