Running out of something

David DeLauro daved at saintjoe.edu
Wed Nov 29 20:59:40 GMT 2000

Hello,

I've been having some problems with the samba Version 2.0.7.  I have
about 800 users that can connect to this server and these users are
mapping 2 shares from this machine when they connect.  Well, when the
load gets up around 450 or so users the machine starts to give samba
errors such as:

[2000/11/09 20:07:47, 0] lib/util_sock.c:write_socket_data(540)
  write_socket_data: write failure. Error = Broken pipe
[2000/11/09 20:13:47, 0] lib/util_sock.c:write_socket_data(540)
  write_socket_data: write failure. Error = Broken pipe

and if I try to do simple things like "ls" I get the following error.
ls: fork: Resource temporarily unavailable

I'm running slackware 7.1 and when I look at /proc/meminfo I have plenty
of free memory (swap and ram) and if I do a cat on some of the files in
/proc/sys/fs  I get the following:

minauros /proc/sys/fs # cat file-max
32767
minauros /proc/sys/fs # cat file-nr
3530    1766    32767
minauros /proc/sys/fs # cat inode-nr
65540   8590

So it looks like I have plenty of file-handles...

Can anyone help with what might be wrong and if so what might be the
solution, it would be greatly appreciated...
--
David DeLauro
Computer Systems Analyst

Education is the progressive realization of our ignorance.

"I do this really moronic thing that the government doesn't want me to
do.  It is called thinking" - George Carlin

"There is no greater tyranny, than that which is perpetrated under the
shield of law and in the name of justice" - Montesquieu

safety deserve neither liberty nor safety" - Benjamin Franklin