Samba permissions

Robert Dahlem Robert.Dahlem at gmx.net
Wed Nov 29 07:31:35 GMT 2000

Luis,

On Tue, 28 Nov 2000 10:04:23 -0800, Luis wrote:

>one more thing when i tryed to run smbpasswd i get this error
>
>$ smbpasswd system
>I enter a new password and retype it to make sure but then it this
>error i get
>"Failed to find entry for user system"
>"Failed to modify password entry for user system"
>
>But when i check in the linux userconf the user is there.
>
>so anyone has any idea what the hell I'm doing wrong

Your smb.conf is missing "encrypt passwords = yes" in the global
section and to add a user you need to type "smbpasswd -a user".
"smbpasswd user" is for changing the password of an already known
user.

Regards,
        Robert

Robert.Dahlem at gmx.net           Fax +49-69-432647

Sent using PMMail (http://www.pmmail2000.com) - fast, decent, email
software; far better than Outlook. Try it sometime.