Rotating Samba logs

Robert Dahlem Robert.Dahlem at gmx.net
Tue Nov 28 23:13:04 GMT 2000

Werner,

On Tue, 28 Nov 2000 11:47:17 +0100, Werner Maes wrote:

>I have some problems regarding rotating the log files in
>/var/log/samba:

You wouldn't have if you knew about "max log size" in smb.conf. :-)

>I use RH 6.2.
>
>The default entry is /etc/logrotate.d/samba:
>
>/var/log/samba/log.* {
>   rotate 5
>   weekly
>   notifempty
>   missingok
>   postrotate
>       /usr/bin/killall -HUP nmbd
>   endscript
>}
>
>If I would like to change the "rotate" entry from 5 to 1, I always
>get an error:
>error: samba:2 bad rotation count'1 '

Well, apart from the fact that /etc/logrotate.d/samba has nothing to
do with samba (it is clearly a configuration file for some third party
log file rotation utility) you should be aware of the fact that there
is nothing like log file rotation with just one file. Why don't you
just try "rotate 2"?

Regards,
        Robert

Robert.Dahlem at gmx.net           Fax +49-69-432647

Sent using PMMail (http://www.pmmail2000.com) - fast, decent, email
software; far better than Outlook. Try it sometime.