Odd behavior in Samba

Dan Egli cybrgeek at xmission.com
Thu Nov 30 20:56:27 GMT 2000

I'm having a problem with Samba and I'm hoping that people can help me.

Problem 1)
I'm trying to configure a samba server to be a central storage location. I
have defined a share on the server (call it postgate server) called
storage. However, when I type (in windows) \\postgate\storage it says it
cannot find the server postgate. I can add an LMHOSTS entry for postgate,
and then the server is readable, but does not show in the browse list. Any
ideas on why or how to fix?

Problem 2)
On a machine with the LMHOSTS entry for postgate, we cannot write to the
server. When we try to save a file to the server, we get access denied
errors (The file <filename> is on a network directory with create but no
modify privledges). I can put files up just fine from the linux side using
smbclient. Anyone ever encountered this? Anyone know how to fix it?

thanks!

Dan