Samba Printing Problem

kakii kakii at bigfoot.com
Thu Nov 30 02:22:13 GMT 2000

Hi, My name is Takewa. I am having some problem with my Samba printer.

I have already get the command "lpr -r -Php_6mp <filename>" to work and
=
I can see the print jobs are queueing up in /var/spool/samba directory.
=
I can even print out any job found in this directory manually (by "lpr =

-r -Php_6mp <filename>") and the printing works without fail. However, =

the configuration just refused to work directly from my Windows 98 =
client. I was trying to print to the Samba print server (I can see my =
printer name, hp_6mp from the network neighbourhood) and nothing comes =

out. I found that the job had already resided onto the print server but
=
the Samba had failed to communicate with the lpd. Does anyone know what
=
I have done wrongly? Any response from you is highly appreciated.

I am using Redhat 6.2 and Samba 2.0.7.

-> this is my /etc/smb.conf file
[global]
        workgroup =3D xxxxxxxx
        server string =3D xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

   printcap name =3D /etc/printcap
   load printers =3D yes
   printing =3D bsd

[printers]
   comment =3D All printers
   path =3D /var/spool/samba
   browseable =3D no
   public =3D yes
   guest ok =3D yes
   writable =3D no
   printable =3D yes

;my print command is correct, as "lpr -r -Php_6mp %s"

-> this is my /etc/printcap file
lp_6mp|raw|lp|lp1:\
        :lp=3D/dev/lp0:\
        :sd=3D/var/spool/samba:\
        :mx#0:\
        :rw:sh:\
        :fx=3Dflp:\
        :rp=3Draw1:\
        :rm=3D192.168.10.50:

I will provide any information you need to analyse my problem. Your =
response is appreciated.