Samba Printing problem

takewa takewa at softhome.net
Wed Nov 29 14:15:17 GMT 2000

Hi, My name is Takewa. I am having some problem with my Samba printer.

I have already get the command "lpr -r -Php_6mp <filename>" to work and I can see the print jobs are queueing up in /var/spool/samba directory. I can even print out any job found in this directory manually (by "lpr -r -Php_6mp <filename>") and the printing works without fail. However, the configuration just refused to work directly from my Windows 98 client. I was trying to print to the Samba print server (I can see my printer name, hp_6mp from the network neighbourhood) and nothing comes out. I found that the job had already resided onto the print server but the Samba had failed to communicate with the lpd. Does anyone know what I have done wrongly? Any response from you is highly appreciated.

I am using Redhat 6.2 and Samba 2.0.7.

-> this is my /etc/smb.conf file
[global]
        workgroup = xxxxxxxx
        server string = xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

   printcap name = /etc/printcap
   load printers = yes
   printing = bsd

[printers]
   comment = All printers
   path = /var/spool/samba
   browseable = no
   public = yes
   guest ok = yes
   writable = no
   printable = yes

;my print command is correct, as "lpr -r -Php_6mp %s"

-> this is my /etc/printcap file
lp_6mp|raw|lp|lp1:\
        :lp=/dev/lp0:\
        :sd=/var/spool/samba:\
        :mx#0:\
        :rw:sh:\
        :fx=flp:\
        :rp=raw1:\
        :rm=192.168.10.50:

I will provide any information you need to analyse my problem. Your response is appreciated.