swat and samba

Sharon Durant Sharon_Durant at geoworks.com
Tue Nov 28 19:33:19 GMT 2000

I'm a Samba newbie...please forgive these two basic (but very sincere)
questions:
I'm running Samba on a Solaris 2.6 box and have the swat entry in
inetd.conf
swat    stream  tcp     nowait.400      root
/usr/local/samba/bin/swat swat

This seems to start up the smbd and nmbd daemons OK but they are all
running with the -D switch. Is that expected?
Also, there are 15 smbd processes running...
Since my system usage is up to .34 (including some httpd and imapd
processes) I'm questioning how many smbd processes should appear.

Can SWAT be run separately from the daemons so that I could start the
daemons in the rc2.d scripts? Or is it an all-or-nothing application?
Thanks!
Sharon