backup home directories from windows workstation

Brock Nanson brock at direct.ca
Tue Nov 28 05:52:46 GMT 2000

I'm trying to backup the homes directories from a windows workstation with
tape drive.  I'm using the NT style logon with samba and have added the
groups of all the users to the username of the system with the tape drive.
So, I can see these private shares now, but can't backup properly for two
reasons:

1) I can't change the archive bit.  I've looked at the directory and create
mask commands in smb.conf but they won't do what I want (unless I'm not
using them correctly!).  I've also tried the admin user setting, and while
this works, it seems heavy handed.

2) Although I have set the homes share to be browseable, they don't show up
in my network neighbourhood.  A homes share shows up, but it doesn't contain
the users directories, just appears to be a link to the workstations'
directory.  I can map a share to a drive letter, but this isn't practical.
I do note that when the share is mapped to a drive, it shows up in net.
neighbourhood for some reason.

I'm sure I've missed something obvious, but I can't think what.  I would
think that this is a common enough problem to have some information on the
web, but I haven't stumbled over it yet.

Any ideas about the approach I should take?

R Brock Nanson, P.Eng.
Kamloops BC
Canada