scripts called by program not working under tng, but they work under 207

Robert Dahlem Robert.Dahlem at gmx.net
Mon Nov 27 19:19:22 GMT 2000

On Mon, 20 Nov 2000 18:47:18 +0100, dobos_s at IBCnet.hu wrote:

>There are bash scripts dealing with dns update and passwd change.
>They work under samba 207, but dont work under tng cvs.
>There is for example a line:
>
>echo [$(date)] >> logfile
>
>Under 207 it writes the current time, but under tng there are only
>the brakets, and nothing more.
>Why?

I guess that's because "$(date)" is not Bourne shell syntax.

Either configure:

    wins hook = /bin/bash /usr/local/samba-tng/bin/dns_update

or make the first line of dns_update look like

    #!/bin/bash

(not indented!) or change the line to

    echo "[`date`]" >> logfile

Latter method preferred (Bourne shell syntax).

Regards,
        Robert

Robert.Dahlem at gmx.net           Fax +49-69-432647

Sent using PMMail (http://www.pmmail2000.com) - fast, decent, email
software; far better than Outlook. Try it sometime.