Visual C++, Windows 2000 and Samba

Simon Saunders sjs at mjc2.co.uk
Fri Nov 24 13:39:24 GMT 2000

I'm using Visual C++ on Windows 2000 with a Solaris system running Samba 2.0.7
as a file server.  When editing source code files in Visual Studio I often get
the message "This file has been modified outside Visual Studio" when it
definitely hasn't been.  The time on the Windows system is synchronized on a
daily basis with the server using "net time \\server /set /yes".  I have "dos
filetime resolution = yes" in the smb.conf file, which is supposed to address
this problem.  We also run VC++ on several NT 4.0 machines in the office and
this doesn't happen on any of them (as a matter of fact the "dos filetime
resolution" parameter doesn't seem to be necessary for them).  Is this a known
problem with Samba and Windows 2000?  Is there a workaround?

Simon Saunders