problems with samba

Martial LEBEC Martial.Lebec at im3.inserm.fr
Fri Nov 24 12:48:33 GMT 2000

Jason Osborne a écrit :

> Hello, I've just installed samba and I have it up and working...well sort
> of. Here is my problem and I'm not sure what is causing it.
>
> Setup:
> I have a Linux box which is a gateway for my network running samba. A
> windows 2000 pdc exists on the network along with a handful of Windows 2000
> and Windows 98 client systems. They all login to samba after I take the
> windows 2000 pdc off line. However, I am experiencing two problems. The
> first is that when a user is loged in and then logs off and a second user
> logs in the second user can see his/her home directory along with the first
> user's home directory. how would i fix this.

I experienced similar problems with profiles. But also with home
directory I had problems. I believed I fixed the problems by changing
the defaults of samba regarding homes :
Create a share called [SmbHome]. Put in the global section of smb.conf
"logon home= \\%N\SmbHome". Finally, put in the [SmbHome] section
:"path=/home/samba/home/%U"

> Secondly, I am having problems with the computers seeing each other on the
> network. I am getting errors when I try to access another user's shares. It
> says that the computer is unavaible. But I can see it in network
> neighborhood and can ping it. This is all occuring on the same subnet so I
> know its not that. Any ideas?

I have the same problems with Samba 2.0.7 running as PDC for NT4 and
Win98 clients. When logged onto NT4 worksation (using a valid samba
account on the PDC), I can't access Win98 boxes. BUT, when logged into a
local NT4 account (for example Administrator), I can access any Win98
box and use its shares. Have you seen the same thing ?
I saw several times this last topic in the samba mailing-list : never
explained.

Best regards,

Martial LEBEC

INSERM U.468