Variable Substitution for NT Domain

cjsmith at btinternet.com cjsmith at btinternet.com
Wed Nov 22 13:43:52 GMT 2000

Hi,

I've been working with Samba recently, and have been
using the %U substitution to get the NT username
(individual users do not have accounts on the Unix box -
 instead, they are mapped to a "remote" account, and
the only share that is offered is /data/%U).

Unfortunately, we have multiple domains on our
network, and sometimes have the same username on
more than one domain. This presents a security hole in
the present framework.

I would like to use "/data/%D/%U" as a share location,
where %D is the NT Domain of the connecting user (I
run samba in security=domain mode). Unfortunately,
there doesn't seem to be a variable for NT
Domain/Workgroup in the existing substitutions.

I've tried working through the source code, but I can't
trace exactly where the username etc. is passed around.
Is there any documentation for the Samba source code?
Alternatively, can someone give me a quick explanation
as to where the %U username substitution actually
comes from? (I've seen the sam_logonuser global that
is used for %U in standard_sub_basic(), but have been
unable to trace exactly how this is assigned).

Thanks in advance,

Chris.