Samba V2.07 Not working for me (Please Help)

Urban Widmark urban at svenskatest.se
Tue Nov 21 22:01:43 GMT 2000

On Tue, 21 Nov 2000, Steven Johnson wrote:

> My Samba server becomes unavailable if I mount a share using SMBFS. The
> following is what I see at the client.

A possible DoS vs samba using smbfs ... (sort of ironic). Does the mounted
share work? Are there any messages in the kernel log (dmesg) on the client
side?

> [root at steven /etc]# mount /shares/osiris/public/

What hides behind this command? (what is in your /etc/fstab?)

> [root at steven /etc]# smbclient -L osiris
> added interface ip=192.168.0.2 bcast=192.168.0.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
> Password:
> Domain=[NEURIZON] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 2.0.7]

Interesting, it doesn't fail at once?
Also, unlike the first 'smbclient -L' it now knows about the workgroup.

> [root at steven /etc]# smbclient -L osiris
> added interface ip=192.168.0.2 bcast=192.168.0.255 nmask=255.255.255.0
> session request to OSIRIS failed (code 0)
> session request to *SMBSERVER failed (code 0)

And then it fails (code 0 sounds suspiciously like the error code for
success ...).

Time between these commands?
Does it make any difference if some other machine is/becomes "master"?

Things you could do if you don't get a reply to this from someone that
knows about server stuff:

+ compare config of the working and the failing server
  (not just the samba config, network stuff too)
+ run the server with maximum log level and do the mount-thing
  then follow the instructions on reporting bugs on the samba webpages
  (if the logs are huge I am sure everyone will be happy with an URL
   pointing to them)

And please keep followups on the list. I'm just asking questions, doesn't
mean that I can do anything constructive with your reply ...

/Urban