SMB: Win98SE & Win2Ksv => Can't create or use IPC area. Failed to initialize share modes...

Emmanuel Proust eproust at ifrance.com
Tue Nov 21 16:00:44 GMT 2000

Hi all,

My test lan involves two PCs running Win98SE, two PCs running Win2KServer
(one in PDC and the other in SDC mode) and a Linux Box under Mandrake
Corporate Server 1.0 running Samba 2.0.7.
---
The problem :
As long I only connect my two Win98SE PCs to my Samba server all is OK but
when I connect a Win2Ksv PCs all the Win98SE are no longer browsing the
Samba server and there is no way to access it via the noetwork neighborhood.
At the same time the Win2Ksv PC is running fine using the Samba share, if I
try to connect the second Win2Ksv PC to the Samba server it can't and
becomes unable to browse the lan as the 2 Win98SE PCs...
---
Log Files :
> Error provided by the LOG.SMB file :
Date Time, 0] locking/shmem_sysv.c:sysv_shm_opn(667)
Can't create or use IPC share modes
Date Time, 0] locking/locking.c:locking_init(174)
ERROR: Failed to initialize share modes
> Error provided by the client LOG files :
Date Time, 1] smbd/service.c:close_cnum(583)
clientname (client ip) closed connection to service clientlogin
---
I red that Samba 2.0.7 is Win2K compatible so is there a specific set up to
get a mixed (Win98SE & Win2Ksv) lan running OK ?

I have tried to perform the tests as proposed in the DIAGNOSIS.TXT files
provided with Samba, but no way because the results are not the same when
only Win98SE PCs are connected and when a Win2KServer PC is connected so I
can not understand the problem using the results of these tests...

Thanks in advance to help me to fix this problem...

Emmanuel Proust
eproust at ifrance.com

Vous avez un site perso ?
2 millions de francs à gagner sur i(france) !
Webmasters : ZE CONCOURS ! http://www.ifrance.com/_reloc/concours.emailif