Login problem. Password authentication/encryption problem/solution.

Myles Pope (MLPA) mlpope at mlpa.net
Tue Nov 21 10:59:42 GMT 2000

Hi Ralph,

You said > I'm trying to get samba up and running and have hit a glitch.
You said > From my windows machines I can see the server.
You said > However when I click on the server (In network
You said > neighborhood) I get a request
You said > for a password.  I also get this line:
You said >
You said > Resource    \\FADAC\IPC$
You said > Password:    _____________
You said >
You said > Looking in the log file, it shows that my uid on the
You said > wintell box is correct,
You said > but when I enter my password (I also have a uid on
You said > FADAC (the host) with the
You said > same name.)  It is kicked out.

I had the same problem recently and someone kindly put me onto the right
track, I hope I can do the same for you.

The way I fixed it was to make the windows PC sends the password in PLAIN
TEXT (before implementing this fix, make sure that plain text fits in with
your idea of adequate security...)

The way that you make the windows PC do PLAIN TEXT is to create a new DWORD
entry in the registry on each windows PC and check that you have turned off
password encryption in smb.conf on your SAMBA box.

The registry entry is really easy. You can download the appropriate *.reg
file from the samba web site (or one of the links off the samba web site I
think..) and double click it (run it) on each PC.

OR

You can read the samb docs (SMB-HOWTO) and do what they say...

OR

You can follow my suggestion and do the following:

On Windows go Start Run regedit.exe.
Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentContolSet\Services\VxD\VNETSUP
and go Edit Add new DWORD entry.
Make the Value Name: EnablePlainTextPassword.
Double click this new entry and change the zero to a number 1.
Reboot .... and then it is your turn to tell the next person on this list
how to do it! Smile.

PS I also tried getting the password encryption to work _without_ success
but I didn't care since plain text is good enough for me. I think that samba
and windows encryptions don't always align properly but that is a guess.

Good luck and regards,

Myles Pope
Principal
MLPA
mailto:mlpope at mlpa.net
http://www.mlpa.net
0417 20 2244
+61 417 20 2244

You said >
You said > Howdy all.
You said >
You said > I'm trying to get samba up and running and have hit a glitch.
You said > From my windows machines I can see the server.
You said > However when I click on the server (In network
You said > neighborhood) I get a request
You said > for a password.  I also get this line:
You said >
You said > Resource    \\FADAC\IPC$
You said > Password:    _____________
You said >
You said > Looking in the log file, it shows that my uid on the
You said > wintell box is correct,
You said > but when I enter my password (I also have a uid on
You said > FADAC (the host) with the
You said > same name.)  It is kicked out.
You said >
You said > The host is running FreeBSD.  The verson of Samba is
You said > 2.0.2, as delivered on
You said > the FreeBSD CDrom.
You said >
You said > I'm thinking I have something messed up in the
You said > config someplace.  Or a
You said > permisions problem.
You said >
You said > Oh, I have a dir /share/pc that I would like to put
You said > on the netboui net.
You said > This is for common use.  I'd like everyone on the
You said > net to see this dir and be
You said > able to use files there.  How do I set this up?
You said >
You said > Thanks in advance,
You said >
You said > Ralph Howard